Presumably, every author has his own approach to writing stories. In that sense, each time a slightly different guide would probably come out and every author would probably give other tips. In general, however, an author must learn and practice the writing of stories just as much as anything else.
Techniques and methods
The more often someone writes their own stories, the easier it will be for him and over time he will develop his own techniques and methods.
Instructions for writing stories:
- Therefore, the following guide is intended as a guide that is generally used to write stories.
- If someone wants to write stories, the first step is always planning, no matter how long or how short the story should be. In contrast to a novel stories offer the advantage that they are shorter and thus clearer.
- However, this does not necessarily make it easier, because the reduced scope means that the actual story has to be brought much more into focus. But not only the content plays a role, but also the genre, because a love story is written differently than a fable or a short thriller.
The planning of the story
A proven tip in story planning is to summarize the core message of the story in one sentence. The key message does not summarize the content of the story, but brings to the point, which message the story should convey. From the key statement, the author can then develop the plot of his story.
It is advisable to write down the basic structure for the story. As a rule, short keywords are sufficient for this, but they serve as a guide for the author when formulating later.
When inventing and working out the action, the following considerations may be helpful:
- Which problem fits the key message?
- Which characters are threatened by such a problem and are therefore suitable as main characters for the story?
- What conflicts leads to the problem and its solution?
- How can these conflicts drive the story?
- How can the problem be aggravated? What obstacles could the main characters encounter?
How does the story end so that as a whole it fits in with the message?
In the course of planning the story, the main characters are also defined. However, not only figures are conceived, but it is also determined which motives and goals the respective character pursues, which is their outstanding feature and which distinguishes this figure in terms of their behavior, their appearance or other attributes.
Unlike fairy tales, the differences between good and evil do not have to be that drastic. So the good figures can also have small quirks or dubious desires and the evil figures like a lovable property, because this makes the figures more credible and lively.
After all the preliminary considerations have been completed, the author can begin to write his stories. It makes sense to start at the beginning and gradually decorate the story. However, stories do not have to be written from beginning to end. Likewise, it is possible to first write individual scenes and then later to make a story.
Revision of the stories
The last step in story writing is the revision. However, this should only happen a little later, because with a little time interval, mistakes and discrepancies are faster and more secure.
In the revision, it has been proven that the author reads his stories from different perspectives. So he can read the stories from the perspective of a reader and from the point of view of the main characters.
From the reader’s point of view, it becomes clear how interesting and exciting the stories are, and it is also possible to check whether the key statement is clear and comprehensible. From the point of view of the main characters, the author can check whether the actions, behaviors and dialogues fit the character.